PDA

View Full Version : Using PDF for variable data source?

rjewer
01-06-2012, 11:42 AM
I have received a request to research if the possibility exists to use a PDF that could contain the variable data for a VDP merge. For example: the first PDF would contain the base content information and the variable source file would be a second PDF. What I have read thus far only states .csv or .txt files can be used. Can anyone tell me if Darwin is capable of doing this? Or maybe this is something we could do with Layered PDF Versioning (LPV)? Thanks!

psmosser
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
I have received a request to research if the possibility exists to use a PDF that could contain the variable data for a VDP merge. For example: the first PDF would contain the base content information and the variable source file would be a second PDF. What I have read thus far only states .csv or .txt files can be used. Can anyone tell me if Darwin is capable of doing this? Or maybe this is something we could do with Layered PDF Versioning (LPV)? Thanks!

So your data is built in a PDF file?

No. Darwin cannot do that. You would need an excel, csv, or txt file with the data in it.

Do you have any files you can post up as an example? I'm afraid I'm not understanding what you're after.

rjewer
01-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Hey psmosser,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the manager who said he has done this in the past has not provided me with my request of a sample file. In fact, I haven't heard from him since. Personally, I think he's off his rocker. He must be thinking of merging 2 PDF pages into 1 {content and variables}. Since he prints grand format work he has to be talking very small quantity in order for that to be somewhat successful. It was he that mentioned Darwin; I never worked with it but found the docs and read up. I really don't understand what he's after either. I promised him I'd look into it. You understood correctly and provided the only answer, thank you.

psmosser
01-19-2012, 01:13 PM
Hey psmosser,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the manager who said he has done this in the past has not provided me with my request of a sample file. In fact, I haven't heard from him since. Personally, I think he's off his rocker. He must be thinking of merging 2 PDF pages into 1 {content and variables}. Since he prints grand format work he has to be talking very small quantity in order for that to be somewhat successful. It was he that mentioned Darwin; I never worked with it but found the docs and read up. I really don't understand what he's after either. I promised him I'd look into it. You understood correctly and provided the only answer, thank you.

My pleasure. If you end up getting more details and have any Darwin specific questions let me know. I've used Darwin for years so I know mostly what it can and can't do. Mostly the can't. :D