View Full Version : Advantages of ColorFlow?

01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Hi Guys!

We just upgraded from Prinergy 4.1 to 5.2 and ColorFlow is a completely new thing for me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this system compared to Harmony?

Also .. can I work with ColorFlow Basic (without the Advanced license) in a "usual" environment?

Thanks is advance,

01-16-2013, 10:18 PM
Colorflow took all the leg work (and thinking) out of creating plate curves and controlling color on our inkjet proofers. It was a god send.

It took us at least 6 months to properly run Colorflow charts on two different presses using three types of ink on three different stocks and 6 different line screens. And it took us HOURS and HOURS and HOURS to manually scan these charts into Colorflow. But it was all worth it.

It was so much more accurate than how we were doing it before with Harmony. Make readies improved ten fold. The pressmen were practically hitting color and density on their first pull. Once we had Colorflow up and running it drastically changed how efficient the press room operated.

I think we went at least 2 years using Colorflow without having to make changes to the native file to adjust for color on press. (I wouldn't blame Colorflow as much as I would blame the poorly designed job we were printing.) Press checks became a breeze. And a lot of our clients stopped requesting press checks because they knew how easy it was for us to match the proof.

We've been using Colorflow for over 3 years now. So far there has been very little upkeep. Once or twice a year the pressmen will tell us that they're having trouble hitting color and we'll run a new set of charts. This sometimes happens after they change out a lot of rollers. On the proofing side there is almost zero upkeep.

The biggest hurdle was the transition away from all the Harmony curves and telling our sales people that their clients can NOT request we match to old press sheets. And Colorflow really sucks at handling RGB in files. If we can't avoid RGB in the file we have to refine the job without Colorflow, save the files to a new pdf and then go through Colorflow.

If I remember correctly Colorflow Basic coudln't do 99% of the things we wanted to do. Unless all your plate curves and proofing profiles are already rock solid you're going to want to purchase the real Colorflow and have Colorflow take over.

As a side note:
We've had numerous ink vendors visit and ask us to try new inks. We usually request they provide enough samples to run a real job. Once we get the ink we do a fast press run of a Colorflow chart up to density. No more than one thousand sheets. Then we create a new Colorflow curve off of one sheet and send a live job to print. All in the span of one morning. One vendor was so amazed he actually took live sheets to have them read. He came back the next day and said it was well within G7 requirements.

01-22-2013, 11:28 AM
I really appreciate the detailed answer. Thank you!

01-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi Newton, was Staccato one of your 6 screenings and if so, how was its results vs. your other screenings? thanks, Roger