PDA

View Full Version : Preps for multiple users on one machine

jcannon
01-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Is it possible? Mac OS 10.3.9. Preps 5.1.5. I installed Preps in my user account. Other users logged into their accounts cannot even open the Preps folder. I tried repairing permissions using Apples disk utility and also using Applejack and it didn't help. I can manually modify the permissions so other users can get into the folder. Then Preps won't run. Then I manually modify permissions on the Preps application file so they can start Preps and it says there is a problem with the hardware key. Then I manually modify the permissions on the password file and Preps will start and run, however the preview does not work. Any ideas how to make it work correctly on all user accounts?

ssutton
01-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, it sound to me like you might need to install Preps for each user. That is, log the computer in as each user then install Preps. There's probably a better way but I don't know of it.

Second, we use Preps on what is called a "floating license". I have installed Preps on each of our workstations (but we don't use multi-user on any of them) and you can have as many users using Preps as you have boughht licenses. But I guess you would probably still have to install Preps for each user... You know what? You better just forget I said anything. ;-)

Steven

zoranj
01-26-2006, 10:37 PM
I think you should install Preps in Applications folder and not in User/Applications.

This is at least how we have it setup and we don't have problems.
My Mac is Tiger and 3 users are using all applications with occasional hickup that permissions fix.

I hope this helps.

jcannon
01-27-2006, 08:56 AM
I think you should install Preps in Applications folder and not in User/Applications.

This is at least how we have it setup and we don't have problems.
My Mac is Tiger and 3 users are using all applications with occasional hickup that permissions fix.

I hope this helps.

I did install it into the Applications folder, not User/Applications. The only difference between my setup and yours appears to be you are using Tiger while I am using OS 10.3.9. Hmmm...

[QUOTE=ssutton]I have a couple of suggestions for you. First, it sound to me like you might need to install Preps for each user. That is, log the computer in as each user then install Preps. There's probably a better way but I don't know of it.

Second, we use Preps on what is called a "floating license". I have installed Preps on each of our workstations (but we don't use multi-user on any of them) and you can have as many users using Preps as you have boughht licenses. But I guess you would probably still have to install Preps for each user... You know what? You better just forget I said anything. ;-)

Steven[/QUOTE}

Yes, that is how I have it now but I had to install it into 2 different folders. It works but I don't like having two different installs of Preps on the same computer.

Thanks for the replies.

jwardlow
01-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Log in as the user who installed Preps. "Get Info" on the /Applications/Prepsx.x folder. Set the Group ownership to the group that all of your operators are in (all of your operators do belong to a common group, don't they?), then set access to "Read and Write". Click on "Apply to enclosed items....".

Kodak needs to set up Preps so that any file that needs write permissions is stored in a local directory path (~Library/Application Support, ~Library/Preferences), not in the Applications Folder.

jcannon
01-27-2006, 05:41 PM
jwardlow,

Thanks for the reply. Both users are in the admin group. I had changed it to that with Read & Write permissions and Preps worked in both accounts...but not the Preview in the 2nd account name. During the preview a message would pop up "Unknown Error" and all I would get is a white box.

tlotzer
01-30-2006, 05:15 PM