View Full Version : Switching over to 1-bit TIFF

09-16-2013, 02:54 PM
The time has come for us to switch over to the 1-bit TIFF workflow. Can anyone tell me how they manage the TIFF process? What is the XPO queue capacity once the jobs are submitted to the platesetter? Can you explain how you organize the files and how long do you retain them? Who starts the generation of the TIFF files, prepress, press or other?

Prinergy 5.3 Preps 6.3 Insite 6.5.1 Magnus 800

09-17-2013, 06:57 AM
We create the Tiffs in Prepress through a final output process plan
We don't retain the tiffs after exposure, they are treated as a transient file.
The advantage is that you have complete control of your queues through Xpo
You can hold, cancel, resubmit, view the plate and rearrange the queue
If you used the job queue on Brisque, it's very similar

09-17-2013, 11:52 AM
Our process is exactly the same as Mike's.

The queue size is only limited by the storage space available. Keeping the files after production was not considered since they can be produced so quickly.

09-18-2013, 11:57 PM
We only did 1-bit Tiffs for a week or two.

How did it affect your ink keys? It was nice to be able to plate any color in which ever order, but I found that our preset ink keys were no longer usable after that.

It might be the way the files were named or rewrote over each other.

I never had time to dig into it, but that's something to be aware.

09-19-2013, 12:19 AM
This hasn't affected our ink keys at all, they are written as a cip3 file to the Prepress Interface which converts for the press. The press operator maps the colours according to how his press is configured

09-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the information everyone.

10-23-2013, 08:51 PM
We just switched to a 1 bit tiff workflow (from direct connect) and my platemakers are complaining about how badly things work now.

Plates don't come out in any predictable order. Colors are out of order, but worse, plates from different sigs and even different jobs are intermingled.

To solve this problem, we set the Xpo hot folders to put everything on hold. Then the platemakers have to look through the list of files in Xpo and pick the ones they want to plate. Hey, didn't they just do that in Workshop?

We have also seen tiffs get lost along the way. Send 4 plates from Prinergy, only 3 show up in Xpo.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to improve the experience?

10-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi Jamie, render all Plate Tiffs in a single Proof_JTP and all jobs will plate in CMYK sequence and in the order they're sent from Prinergy. If something has to render NOW, changing priority when sending from Workshop jumps them to next in line.

Prepress33, CIP3 files only work when you send all colors. Sending a single color as a remake will cause the second CIP3 file to overwrite the earlier one. (to solve this we added a two digit 'second' bit into the filename. Operator has multiple keyup files to pick through but they can see which to use by the previews.)

10-24-2013, 08:12 PM
I was going to suggest what Roger just did in the last post. We were having the same issue- so I made it so that just one JTP was making the 1-Bits. That way everything is in order. Problems would occur when one JTP was working on a more complicated page than the other and finishing at different times.

We used to output direct to plate and I do have to say that by switching to 1-Bit tiffs we have gained much speed. We also added on a new Screen platesetter that makes a plate every 55 seconds so we are just zinging out metal now!

10-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Thanks for both the replies. When I was testing last week, and didn't have this problem, I only had one high-res JTP. Driving home last night I remembered that when I upgraded to P6 over the weekend, I had added another JTP. Today, I went back to one and as you suggested that was the issue. Too bad you can't use two for load balancing, but I guess if one JTP can keep up with the platesetter, there is no reason to use two.

We also added on a new Screen platesetter that makes a plate every 55 seconds so we are just zinging out metal now!

The technical term for that is "ludicrous speed"

Do either of you have problems with the tiff file getting lost on the way to the platesetter?

10-28-2013, 03:54 PM
I don't have any issues with the Tiff file making it to the output folder.

When they don't show up -- do you have any warnings in Prinergy Workshop?

10-28-2013, 05:53 PM
No warnings. Prinergy thinks it output the file. And maybe it did.

10-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Occasionally, a tiff will fail for an unknown reason and the job will end up in the failed queue and will fail to resubmit. When that happens, you can take the tiff out of the working folder and drop it back in the hot folder.

Other than that, which is usually when there's a lot of traffic to the expo station, we haven't had any issues with the tiffs not making it to the platesetter.