PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Prinergy Job Volumes

john.och
09-17-2013, 09:03 PM
We currently have about 40,000 jobs in our job volume folder. We don't plan on off-lining any of them as they need to be available for reprints so our numbesr will continue to grow. We use an Isilon Job Home Server which we can easily expand as needed. However, having this many jobs in a single folder is creating lag times when browsing with Macs, especially newer Macs that Apple has changed how smb works. Even opening job folder in browser with Workshop can take over a minute.

I have created 9 additional Job Volumes with the idea of putting different InSite customers on different Job Volumes. This will mean new jobs will most likely be on new Job Volumes and the browsing on a Mac will go much faster.

The Kodak tech didn't see any issues having multiple Job Volumes. Has anyone had any issues regarding upgrading, etc where having multiple Job Volumes was an issue? Kodak said that since the oracle database keeps track of all the jobs, it doesn't matter, even if the volumes are on different servers, as long as you don't have 30-40+ Job Volumes. Looking for feedback before we proceed.

IKE8421
09-18-2013, 06:11 PM
I have 2 separate Volumes and it hasn't created any issues. I had to adjust some archive rules etc. but that's about it.

thashimoto
09-18-2013, 06:50 PM
If you have that many jobs in single job volume, your prinergy is probably slow, even if you add secondary job volume, it doesn't help you.
I had over 35,000 jobs once in iSilon, and had to trim down number of jobs.

I can imagine your prinergy have to check over 40,000 hotfolders.

john.och
09-19-2013, 09:35 PM
I talked to Kodak about it yesterday and they said that there are quite a few sites that have around 10 job volumes. It didn't produce any issues either.

The InSite jobs don't have hotfolders and in some of the other workflows, we have a RBA rule to delete hotfolders in 7 days. Thanks for the response.

jcallis
09-20-2013, 02:34 PM
Can only say we use a couple of volumes and it has never been an issue aside from some RBA that was specific to a location.

How about the SMB problem you mention for newer macs. Any advice available for that? This is a growing problem and seems very inconsistent in the listing performance. Generally slow but once in a while pops it up without hesitation even though it is a location you've not been to previoulsy.

John

john.och
09-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Can only say we use a couple of volumes and it has never been an issue aside from some RBA that was specific to a location.

How about the SMB problem you mention for newer macs. Any advice available for that? This is a growing problem and seems very inconsistent in the listing performance. Generally slow but once in a while pops it up without hesitation even though it is a location you've not been to previoulsy.

John

This fix really helps the new Macs in copying files between the server and I think it is helping with the Workshop open job folder in browser as well:

http://www.digitalgatehouse.com/speed-up-your-mac-os-x-with-smbwindows-servers-255

The root cause of this problem is Mac OS Xs TCP delayed ack is run by default. Mac will queue up a bunch of acks, and then send them after a bit. This causes the Samba server to stop sending files as fast, and then you end up going only a few kilobytes per second.To solve this issue,just disable the delayed acks.

To do this, just follow the following steps:-
open your terminal
type following command

sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

After this, try to unmount any mounted SMB shares and re-mount them. Now you will realize the speed of read and write will be faster than just now.

But this setting will automatically reset back to default setting after your machine reboot. To permanently solve this problem, just create a file sysctl.conf in /etc folder. Below are the steps:-

open your terminal
create sysctl.conf in /etc

sudo vi /etc/sysctl.conf

Add the following line in /etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.tcp.delayed_ack=0

Save this file and reboot your machine.
After reboot the machine, the new setting will apply to your Mac Machine.