View Full Version : Color conversion of non-image elements

09-20-2013, 05:30 PM
I have read in several places that if an image does not have an embedded profile, that it is good practice to treat it as though it is in the sRGB color space. This is because many cameras that don't embed profiles actually use sRGB, so in the absence of the right info, it is a safe guess.

The other common things we see without embedded profiles is... everything else on the page that's not a photo. In other words, I think that many designers pick their CMYK colors with no color space in mind.

So I was wondering how other people treat the non-photo elements. Do you leave them uncalibrated? Do you convert them to a common color space, and if so, what profile do you assume they would have had?

In InDesign, what profile inclusion policy do you use? Also, do you let InDesign do the color conversion or leave it to Prinergy/Colorflow?

11-30-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi Jamie,

all non-photo pdf elements we treat as if they have attached icc profile of the industrial standard we have chosen to print our production. In our case it is ISO 12647-2 and our workflow asume that all non-photo pdf elements are in FOGRA39 color space.

12-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Hi Jamie, we honor what's assigned on the rgb image otherwise, we assume sRGB. As for other bits, we don't go trying to color manage them. If in doubt, we assume/assign GRACoL and use ColorFlow to compress down to our uncoated gamuts. - Roger