View Full Version : RBA Topic: Hotfolder Use & Dropping in Multiple Files for Different Refines

09-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Hello all,

I am wondering if someone has a sample rule set that will allow me to drop multiple files into one hot folder,at the same time, that will be filtered/split into two different paths. Example: Two files one of the cover and the second the text. Text will refine black only and the cover as 4 color based on a naming convention example Text.txt and Cover.cv. We have made multiple attempts using filters or bridges but have not had any success. Each time both files are processed the using the same refine black only. If we drop in one file at a time the hot folder behaves as it should. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

09-16-2015, 04:08 PM
If you put a timer on one of the splits to not process for said amount of time, would you get the same results as you do when you put the two files in at separate times?

09-16-2015, 04:09 PM
If single file works, then your issue is in the split or filter. If you can attach your rule, that would shed some light onto the issue.

09-17-2015, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the input. I have attached a link so you can download the rule from my ftp site. Please let me know if you were able to download it.

This rule includes a timer but it does not function. Or we are not able to make it work. It will still process the files using the same refine.

Without the timer we are able to drop one file at a time and the rule seems to work but when we add multiple it will refine as black only.

09-17-2015, 08:47 PM
So when the file is uploaded into InSite, is your customer refining it then? Are they choosing a black and white refiner?
In your rule, I see the Input File Refined icon before anything. Doesn't that mean it has then been refined? You then have a timer after that that says to re-refine the file after that. If it has been already converted to black and white, re-refining using a color refiner isn't going to bring the color back. I don't know that it goes back to the webuploads folder and re-refines the original file again.

09-18-2015, 10:24 AM
The file is refined when the prepress operator drops the files in a smart hot folder. This is a generic refine. Once this is done then the rule is triggered to start. Now dropping one file in at a time the rule will follow the path based on the naming structure of the file. Files containing "cvr" will re-refine as CMYK and files with "txt" will re-refine as black only. Dropping both files at the same time results in both files getting refined as CMYK and black only. It seems that RBA wants to batch process multiple files when dropped at the same time. I added the timer to try to offset the processing time for each naming structure. I'm not sure if the timer works that way. There must be some way for a rule to see multiple files.

Bill Riley
09-18-2015, 01:37 PM
I could not get your rule to load, so I am going to just chime in with what I think is a possible solution to your problem.

It sounds like you need a Hot Folder drop event, followed by a Split, then a refine with a table of values picking a specific refine base on the split file name.

This may not be exactly the solution, but the concept should be in the ball park.

See this screen shot http://screencast.com/t/akvkNqOapntW

I have gone ahead and uploaded a short test rule as well.

Hope this helps.

09-23-2015, 11:34 AM
When you re-refine, do you want to re-refine already processed pages or do you want to re-refine the input files based on their naming?

09-25-2015, 01:23 PM
Re-refine the input files based on their naming structure. It seems that RBA wants to batch process multiple files when dropped at the same time no matter what the naming structure.

09-25-2015, 02:25 PM
You could try using filter (see attached) instead of timer. Then use "refine input file" processes to re-refine your input files:one that picks up selected files and another 'other files', and then output proofs. You could put another filter on the 'other files' branch it there are more than 2 options... I believe that part should work.