PDA

View Full Version : Prepare - does anyone use this product?

dwyers
02-01-2006, 05:01 AM
I tried it a while ago but it was a bit to clunky for my liking and i couldn't see the clients i visit wanting to run it with it taking over their computer a fair bit.

I find it easier to just show them how to create a watched folder in Distiller if using Quark or if Indesign just create pdf/x1a with all the unwanted spots set in the Inkmanager to cmyk.

Works ok for me.

Has the Prepare got any easier to install/use? What version are they up to now?

Dennis Wyers.

mark_jetzer
02-01-2006, 01:18 PM
We played with it for a while too, but found the same thing. It was just easier to tell them how to make a PDF with Distiller or from the Application. We had some serious stablity issues with the few clients we did set it up with. I still like the idea of Prepare, but it needs work. The depenancy on Adobe Acrobat was a major crutch for us. It hard to tell a client they need to purchase a version of Acrobat with Distiller when they can make them right out of InDesign.

I'd like to see the plugins more dynamic. Allow the client to enter in job info at the time they make the PDF in the Plugin window instead the current setup.

It's to bad, it was/is a great idea, especially the part that it puts my company "right on their desktop." Constant free advertising.

pdewitt
02-07-2006, 06:07 PM
We recommend that our customers use it and have over 200+ copies out there. The installer is so much eaiser now and is very stable. We are at version 2.0.4.

For the most part, we walk our customers through the installation over the phone and have them drop in the directives and they are ready to go. We like our customers to use it because we can modify the pitstop preflight profile to check for the things that we want, like lores, etc. When we get the files, we know that the files have already been checked.

I would like to see it have the ability to create PDFs of multiple documents, instead of having to open each one and send to Prepare...like a run list or something.

Pamela DeWitt

dwyers
02-08-2006, 08:15 PM
I've been meaning to update and install the latest version as a test.

Looks like i will have to check it out even if just for curiosity's sake....

Dennis Wyers.

paulh
01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
We like our customers to use it because we can modify the pitstop preflight profile to check for the things that we want, like lores, etc.

So, why should I use Prepare over the Enfocus product?