GUA Forums

Go Back   GUA Forums > Digital Printing > Variable Print

Old 11-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Seasoned GUA Member

Default Darwin VDP and Imposition

How are people who use Darwin imposing their pages for variable data? Currently we use the Smart Stream plugin for Indesign to impose vdp jobs to send to the Indigo. Darwin doesn't appear to have anything built in for that purpose.

Del
Grand Rapids MI

Prinergy 5.1.2
Insite/Storefront 6.1.2
Intel Xserve 10.6.8
Old 11-09-2010, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Darwin VDP and Imposition

Why don't you use ImpCreator - it can create imposition file which you can put on the Indigo RIP. But what is your output from Darwin? PDF, OptPS, PPML?
Old 11-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Seasoned GUA Member

For variable data jobs we create jlt or ppml through smartstream. I've never heard of impcreator. A Google search didn't bring up a lot of info. Do you know where I can download it? Is it available for Mac?
Grand Rapids MI

Prinergy 5.1.2
Insite/Storefront 6.1.2
Intel Xserve 10.6.8
Old 11-10-2010, 08:13 AM

ImpCreator can be found somewhere on the MyHPIndigo pages. I have it only for PC. But if you use SmartStream Director I think you can create imposition file and load it onto front-end of the Indigo. Then you have to RIP the non-imposed file from Darwin and impose it with the already created imposition. Of course you can create a hot folder with attached imposition to it,so the job can go to the frontend imposed. Which model of HP you are running? IPTech or Harlequin RIP?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Seasoned GUA Member

Juan, that's essentially what I do except I create custom Impos with the Quark plug-in and then import at the press, and either manually impos or create hot Folders based on those impo sets. I tried ImpCreator on the PC was it was seriously lacking.

I have dreams of making rules-based impositions one day, but with a complete lack of training for RBA, it's not likely to happen any time soon.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 AM

Ok, can't get what you mean seriously lacking... but it creates imposition file (which in fact is a postscript function) and OK it is pretty much like doing it with Quark (in this case you must have Quark).

About RBA based imposition - I don't think it is possible because Preps or Prinergy JWP are not operated by the Prinergy Object Model.

The only automation you can make (if you have standard sizes) will look something like this:

You should have some parameters set from Storefront (XML) or by Custom Fields. And of course you have to prepare a set of impositions for you standard sizes.

so ReadXML(Custom Fields) -> CreateImposition (here you use Table of Values feature and choose correct imposition for you size) -> ImportImposition -> Do ImpositionOutput

You can use ByPassRefine but in this case you will not catch the bleed from the PDF (in case it had right Trim & Bleed Sizes).

@RobW - Which versions of PGY / ISF / Darwin you are using?
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Seasoned GUA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalJuan View Post
Ok, can't get what you mean seriously lacking... but it creates imposition file (which in fact is a postscript function) and OK it is pretty much like doing it with Quark (in this case you must have Quark).
I can't say, I just went back & looked at it again and it seems to do exactly what I'd do in Quark. I retract my earlier condemnation, NO idea what I thought the issue was any more.

Quote:
@RobW - Which versions of PGY / ISF / Darwin you are using?
Prinergy 5.0.3.1.63
InSite 6.0.2.7411
Darwin 3.0 Build 0070